Now, Wouldn't That Be Sweet?

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

One of my favorite things about traveling is seeing the diversity not just of people but of lives that exists. 

There are just SO MANY possibilities.


Most places I've been have elicited some sort of what-would-my-life-be-like-if-I-lived-here? fantasy. Sometimes it's pretty vague and mild, but once in a while I go so far as to look at real estate listings on the interweb. 


It's totally free escapist fantasy fiction, and I let myself indulge in it a bit every now and then. 


I weigh the benefits of living in different Tokyo neighborhoods or ponder whether my Seattle home will be a slick downtown condo or a rustic home with a great view of Mt. Rainier. Then I go do the laundry or make dinner and generally get back to the business of living my real life. 


Still, it's good to dream.


My most recent foray into the fantasy world of my imaginary other possible life is the clearest and most tempting of all. I can see it in my mind in such happy detail, I've informed my husband that, if I should one day simply disappear, this is where I will be.


I will live on Amelia Island in northeastern Florida.  I will no longer be a teacher; instead, I will be waiting tables at the Happy Tomato Cafe. My days will be spent hanging out with the cool and congenial guys who run the place, serving up awesome BBQ sandwiches, and listening to classic indie rock on the radio. I'll put all my book-learnin' and pop culture knowledge to use in witty conversations with patrons - and will be utterly fulfilled by my days there. I will smile often, rarely fluster, and (possibly) get heavily into yoga. 


So, if your imaginary other possible life self is ever in town, stop in for a lemonade.
My treat.

2 comments:

chad.02 said...

half the year in a Vegas hotel; half the year in Hawaii (or Hawaii-equivalent or secluded island). and a bigass boat (but no car).

unoriginal i'd agree, but originality is not a requirement for (most of) my fantasies. though money seems to be...

February 6, 2010 at 9:39 PM
Sarah said...

Agreed- imagining your days in exotic locales is one of the best parts of traveling.

I don't know if I've settled on a preferred escapist fantasy, but I'm happy to keep looking until I find one.

February 26, 2010 at 8:28 AM
 

2009 ·what now? by TNB