Get Out!

Monday, June 14, 2010


I have decided that I want to get out and see more this summer; too many previous summer vacations have been filled with trips to Target and the grocery store and not enough time spent doing cool stuff. Sure, we go on family trips and see things then, but on an every day basis I rarely seem to get out and explore my hometown. I always get so caught up in the humdrum that I lose sight of all the cool possibilities. But not this summer, baby. 

Today I went to the U of M for the first in a series of free noontime concerts. The band was Romantica, who are awesome, but the weather was lousy. Pouring rain pushed the planned outdoor concert indoors, which meant I got to go inside Northrop Auditorium, a place I haven't been since the day I graduated - in 1991. 

It's a beautiful old cavern of a building. The lighting was dim, mostly the rainy light from outside streaming in the open doors, and the place smells a bit like a wet dog, but the acoustics are brilliant, and the band was just twangy enough. And then Jimmy John's started handing out free sandwiches and chocolate ice cream. Very cool, indeed. 

0 comments:

 

2009 ·what now? by TNB