I Hate This Part

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Every fall our school does this what I did over my summer vacation slide show, and we're all supposed to submit pictures of ourselves committing whatever wacky, school-appropriate hijinks we committed over the summer months.

And I hate it.

It's not that I have any issue with looking at the pictures of my colleagues holding up grandbabies and real big fish, etc.; that's actually kinda fun. It's the having my picture taken - and then put on display - part that bothers me.

You see, I am the least photogenic person on Earth.

I do not believe that I am inherently ugly, per se; it's just that my finer qualities do not translate to photographs well. So, here I am, a not completely unattractive woman with all kinds of pictures of me looking like I have an oddly-discolored face, or one eye that is much larger than the other, or fifteen chins. You get the idea.

Consequently, very few non-required pictures of me get taken.

As I look through our family pictures from our trip to Tokyo (the sort of thing that seems slide show worthy), most of the images are of the scenery or my daughter, who does not carry my non-photogenic baggage.

But I feel that one of the unwritten rules of the welcome back slide show is that we, the staff, must actually appear in the pictures. I can't just send one of Tokyo scenery and not expect to get a certain degree of flak about it.


So I need to find one that I'm in.

In our digital "pile" of pictures, though, most of them that include me are taken from behind - since my husband is snapping away as I walk on to the next sight to be seen. Now, I have enough issues with sending in a picture of my face, how do you suppose I'm going to do sending in a picture of my backside? (Rearview picture self-assessment: butt's too big, but calves are pretty decent. Must throw away those plaid shorts; they're not doing me any favors.)

There is an okay one of me passed out on the bus. We're on our way to the airport, I have a wicked case of food poisoning, and my daughter is sitting beside me making goofy faces.

Is it odd that the picture I find least-revolting is one in which I'm just about to do very unpleasant things to a bathroom at Narita?


0 comments:

 

2009 ·what now? by TNB